Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Refried Beans

Refried Beans

This dip is best served cold. I tasted it right after I had made it and said to myself that it wasn't as flavorful as the cans of  Amy's Refried Beans (highly recommended if short on time). I was wrong because the next day I couldn't eat enough of it. It had a slight spicy aftertaste that wasn't overpowering. 

Refried Beans

Refried Beans

Refried Beans

2 c. pinto beans (cooked)
1 c. onion finely chopped (I used a red onion)
4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
3 tbs chopped jalapenos
1 tomato chopped
2-3 bay leafs
1 c. vegetable broth
1 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
2 tsp paprika powder (or to taste)
2/4 tsp liquid smoke
salt & pepper to taste

  • Fry onion in pan. When the onion starts to soften, add the garlic & jalapenos. Cook for 5 min.
  • Add beans, vegetable broth, bay leafs, tomato & cook for 10 min or if not using canned beans, until beans soften. Liquid will cook down.
  • Add chili, paprika, & liquid smoke.
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Let cool & remove bay leafs
  • Mash with potato masher, put in blender or leave as is for a more rustic looking dip.
Refrigerate overnight for best results.

1 comment:

  1. That looks good! I'll have to try this out soon! Yum!

    ReplyDelete