Sunday, January 23, 2011

Carrot and Curry soup


I hate cooked carrots. I tend to avoid adding them to soups unless I'm making a broth. To me they loose so much flavor. Give me raw any day. That is what i thought until I started making this soup. The carrots make it such fluffy and light texture & the curry carries so much flavor. Sometimes i add cheese or croutons on top. I also think it would freeze quite well & will test this out.

Carrot and Curry soup

1 med red onion (about 2 cups)
2 pound carrots (about 6 cups diced)
2 tbs earth balance butter (I just use organic butter)
2 tbs oil (I used olive oil )
1 tbs curry powder
1 (1/2 inch) ginger, peeled & smashed (or 1/8 dried ginger)
2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth 
4 whole cloves
3 garlic cloves, chopped

Chop onion and carrots. Heat oil & butter on med/low heat. When butter melts add onions & cook until slightly soft (about 5 min). Make sure not to brown. Add carrots, ginger, garlic, cloves & curry (If you aren't familiar with curry you can put in 1/2 tbs and add more at the end). Mix well so carrots are evenly covered with oil & cook for 10 min. At this point, with a fork, check if carrots are tender. Add water or broth & cook until the carrots are soft enough to break with a wooden spoon. Take cloves out. Usually they will float on top & can be removed easily. Put in blender & pure.

Salt & peeper to taste. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment